SelfUnfocused

Coming to terms with being human.

11.02.2005

Treehugger

I have often commented that, in the event of my death, I wouldn't mind being buried in a burlap sack with a tree planted over me. I like the idea of the tree gaining sustenance from my remains. I leave it to my wife, or friends, to choose the appropriate tree to represent my essence with the stipulation that it not be any form of fir. God forbid I be used as a Christmas tree!
It is now possible for me to add a new element to my burial fantasy. I have recently learned that Biopresence is willing to entwine my DNA with the tree of my choice. In their own words,
Biopresence creates Human DNA trees by transcoding the essence of a human being within the DNA of a tree in order to create "Living Memorials" or "Transgenic Tombstones". Biopresence is collaborating with scientist and artist Joe Davis on his DNA Manifold algorithm, which allows for the transcoding and entwinement of human and tree DNAs. The Manifold method is based on the naturally occurring silent mutations of base triplets, this means it is possible to store information without affecting the genes of the resulting tree.
I imagine a future, far beyond the Human DNA tree fad, when genetic scientists studying ancient flora uncover this hidden coding. What will they think? Actually, what if this is an explanation for the "junk" DNA in our own coding! Perhaps alien entrepreneurs have left bits of themselves for posterity. It may be that abductions are nothing more than alien relatives paying tribute to the dead ancestors whose memorial we are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home