SelfUnfocused

Coming to terms with being human.

3.18.2005

The Joy of Cable Cutters

My bike was stolen yesterday. It was a great vehicle, there was history behind it. Thankfully, I've been pretty Zen these past few days, so I wasn't angered by the theft, just disappointed.

The bike was becoming a big part of my life. I've been attempting to live more slowly. I cook more. I read or mosaic instead of watching the television. There was a time when I lived life at a more comfortable pace. I'm trying to return there.
So the bike was important. I was riding it to school every day. The college is a twenty minute bike trip away from my new place. It was nice arriving for class with a quickened pulse. Physical activity seems to be good for me, who would of thought it.
Now it seems I can either walk to school (a 45 minute adventure) or drive my car (a 45 dollar adventure if gas prices keep rising). I would like to say that hoofing it is a definite, but I know myself too well. Still, the allure of slowness is potent. Kierkegaard said that men pursue pleasure at such a pace that they often pass it by. I've lived that. How disappointing.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bummer dude.

    Glad to hear you were trying, though.

    Don't give up hope...you should report it. When I was 12, I got my bike stolen, but the pigs ended up finding it for me six months later.

    There is of course, the pleasures of public transit with its associated moral bragging rights.

    Jonathan S.

     
  • At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wonder how your bike feels about this tragedy?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home